Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Racial Issue in Throggs Neck, Could a New Wave of Different Ethnicities Be a Cause?

For my first blog post I decide to write about the various small crimes that have been occurring in my own neighborhood, which is Throggs Neck, located in the Bronx. Throggs neck is a well known Irish community in the Bronx and when my family first moved to the neighborhood we were the only Latinos living on our block. No one spoke to us for four months and my mother's car was stolen in front our house, they replaced where her car was parked with sign that read, " Go back on the boat you came from, Spics". Soon after our neighbors had become informed about what had occurred they began to talk and interact with us. But just recently I have noticed that a large amount of African Americans and Latinos have been moving into the area at a rapid pace.

Along with this a rise in criminal activity has rised in the area. Just to name a few of the crimes they are, auto theft, vandalizing property, trespassing, selling of illegal drugs, and one incident of stolen property, which was my neighbor's boat from across the street. In retaliation to thus recent rise in activity there have been reports of young Irish men burning Puerto Rican flags on other individual's property and writing racial slurs against African Americans and Latinos on public property. Although this is all very concerning, my question is not why both parties are committing these crimes but it is " Could this be the start of a racial war in Bronx?" Whatever it may be I intend on investigating this issue further and keeping my "crime thirsty" readers informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment