Thursday, October 7, 2010

"This Neighborhood Ain't What It Use To Be"

I interviewed a few of near by neighbors on what their opinion was on the meth raid that occurred in Throggs Neck recently. The responses I received were not only shocking but they were also not what I was expecting. Although I was surprised that people gave me a little of their time to speak with about the matter or maybe it was because I pretended to be a curious neighbor. Whatever the case maybe I received some interesting feedback and would like to share it with you!

The first woman I interviewed was an elderly woman in her mid 70's, who has been living in the area for the past 20 years. She said "I never thought I would see the day when the beautiful, peaceful, traditional neighborhood of Throggs Neck would turn into a ghetto piece of trash." Now trust me when she answered me with this response I wanted to roll my eyes at her, call her ignorant, and walk away but it is her opinion and as a human as well as a n aspiring journalist I respected it.

The second person I interviewed was a young man in his early 20's, who just moved to the neighborhood 6 years ago. He said "I personally don't care, I mean yeah its where I live but if its not bothering me and not interfering with my life, then let the guy do his own business where ever he wants." I mean I understand this man wanted to mind his own business but I would show a little more concern and care a tad bit more if there was a man from the Russian mob dealing crystal meth out of his basement two houses away from mine.

The final and third person I interviewed was a single mother of two young children in her 30's, who lived in the neighborhood since she was a young child. She said " I had been thinking about moving out of the Throggs Neck for a couple of moths now since the neighborhood has changed so much but now after this happening I'm putting the house up sale at the end of this month." I understand where this woman was coming from because I would not want my childern growing up in an environment where they are exposed to such harms as this incident that occured.

The responses were shocking and some were what I expected but my question is, "If the residents of Throggs Neck feel this way then why is not anyone speaking out at community meetings?"

No comments:

Post a Comment